Electric corded mowers don’t need any oil refill or battery recharging.
But if you have a large yard, it is a hassle to haul long extension cords.
You probably want to use corded ones if you enjoy being outside.
And you don’t mind how long it takes to mow your lawn.
For most lawn owners, they want to get the task done quickly.
The best option is to use battery-operated mowers.
For big yards, choose a high-performance model with a high-voltage battery (preferably 7.5Ah), wide cutting path (at least 20″), and multiple height settings.
If you have a large lawn, it is better to use a cordless self-propelled mower with a large bag.
It will complete the task quickly, and you hardly break a sweat.
Once you set it in motion, it will clip the grass on its own. All you have to do is steer it in the right direction.
Best Cordless Self-Propelled Mowers For Large Yards
All cordless self-propelled mowers in this review include bagging, mulching, or side discharging.
#1 EGO LM2100SP 21-Inch 56-Volt Mower
- Rated as the “Best Electric For Large Yards” by PopularMechanics
- The 21″ deck speeds up the mowing task.
- The battery recharges faster than its competitors.
- The 56-volt lithium-ion battery produces 40% more power than the ordinary 40-volt battery found in most lawn mowers.
- Run up to one hour with about 30 minutes to recharge.
#2 Yard Force Lithium-Ion 22” Self-Propelled 3-in-1 Mower with Torque-Sense Control – 2 Batteries & Fast Charger included
- Up to 100 minutes of runtime on a single charge.
- Holds two 120-volt lithium-ion batteries (only one battery will be in used)
- Charges quickly (30 minutes) for uninterrupted mowing of large yards.
- The 120V battery makes Yard Force the most powerful electric lawn mower (cut thick grass well).
- 12″ rear wheels for tackling bumps on your yard.
- 22″ swath cut for quick mowing.
#3 Snapper XD 82V MAX Electric Cordless 21-Inch Self-Propelled Lawnmower Kit with (2) 2.0 Batteries & (1) Rapid Charger, 1687914, SXD21SPWM82K
- 21-inch cutting swath for big lawns.
- An 82V battery that closely matches gas-powered mowers.
- Two 2AH 82-volt lithium-Ion batteries.
- 90 minutes run time (2 batteries)
- Charging: 30 minutes (2Ah Battery) 60 minutes (4Ah Battery)
The combination of a rechargeable 82V battery and a Briggs & Stratton motor senses the mower’s needs “on-the-fly” with the help of artificial intelligence (AI).
The AI saves power when the mower doesn’t need it and delivers more when it does.
This feature increases the charge life of the battery, enable Snapper XD to manage larger yards than its rivals.
#4 Greenworks PRO 21-Inch 80V Cordless Lawn Mower, Two 2.0AH Batteries Included GLM801601
- Includes two 80-volt G-MAX lithium-ion batteries (compatible with other G-MAX powered gardening tools)
- Enough power for an acre of lawn on a single charge.
- SmartCut technology to boost the blade speed when sensing thick grass.
- 7″ front wheels and 10″ rear wheels for improved maneuvering.
Best Electric Riding Mower For Big Lawns
Let’s be honest, mowing a large lawn is a chore.
It takes hours to get the perfect cut.
It’s worst of all when the sun is out.
Ask yourself one crucial question: How much time are you willing to spend to mow your lawn on a busy weekend?
If you can afford it and you want to cut down the mowing time by half, a riding mower is the way to go.
For speed and efficiency, you can’t compare with a riding mower when you are tackling a large lawn.
Ryobi 38″ Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower RY48110
- Up to 2 hours of runtime or 2 acres on a single charge (no need to worry about refilling a gas tank).
- 12 hours to recharge the batteries.
- 38″ 2-blade deck with 12 height adjustments from 1.5 to 4.5 inches for a clean, even cut.
- Tackle uneven lawns.
Top Push Cordless Mowers For Large Yards
If your yard is flat, you can use a push cordless mower.
It requires less storage space and costs lower than the self-propelled model.
#1 EGO Power+ LM2001-X 56V 7.5Ah Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower with Battery & Charger Kit, 20″
- Plastic deck (The self-propelled mowers in this post comes with steel decks)
- A 7.5Ah EGO power battery provides up to 1.5 hours of runtime (ideal for big lawns).
- 30 minutes fast charge.
#2 Ryobi RY40180 40V Brushless Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Mower Kit, with 5.0Ah Battery
- One RYOBI 40-volt lithium-ion battery that gives you about 45 minutes of mowing on a single charge.
- 90 minutes to recharge a dead battery.
- Two battery ports. If you have another battery on hand, you can double the mower’s runtime for a large yard.
- Mulching and bagging.
#3 BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower, 20″
- Runs on interchangeable batteries. It eliminates the common problem of recharging in the middle of mowing big gardens.
- Two 40V MaxLithium ion batteries. You can only use one battery at a time. You can charge the second one while running the mower on the first one.
- The Edgemax design makes mow right up to edges and reduces the trimming duration.
Amazon customers are complaining about short battery life (15 minutes) when using Black + Decker CM2043C.
#4 WORX WG774 Intellicut 56V Cordless 20″ Lawn Mower with Mulching Capabilities, Orange and Black
- Two 56V MaxLithium Batteries.
- A single charge can handle up to 9,400 sq. ft. yard.
- 60 minutes runtime.
- 20″ deck width to cut down the number of passes.
- IntelliCut technology allows you to deal with various grass heights.
- The IntelliCut saves energy as you only use as much power as the job requires.
- Mulching, bag, or side-discharge
Buying Guide: Cordless Mowers For Big Yards
Usually, a single charge is enough for 1/2 acre.
For large lawns over 1 acre, it can be a challenge as most batteries can last up to one hour.
You could get a higher capacity battery such as 7.5Ah that runs up to 90 minutes.
So, if you have a large yard, you should first consider the battery capacity of the lawnmower.
Sometimes, the battery life is not enough to cover the whole yard. You have to take a break while charging the battery.
So, it is a good idea to keep two sets of batteries charged. This way, you can mow your big garden in one session.
Nothing more is annoying than having your battery run out of juice halfway through a mowing job.
Here is the bad news.
Buying a battery can sometimes cost almost as much as getting a new electric mower.
#2 Deck Width
For yard larger than 2 acres, your mower should have a deck width between 42″ and 48″ wide.
For an acre-sized lawn, a cutting path of 20 inches or more is good enough.
Mowers with big deck size reduce the mowing time as they cut more grass.
They also take fewer passes than small deck width versions.