Does your electric lawn mower stall when it hits an area of tall grass?
It is challenging to cut tall grass, and more so when it is wet.
If it struggles too hard, your battery is going to die pretty soon!
Some homeowners find that electric mowers can snip tall grass more relaxed than a gas model.
With electric mowers, you don’t have to change spark plugs, filters, or oil. No more gas to buy or breathe in fumes!
Furthermore, they are easy to start.
For very long grass (exceeds 8″), you may have to go over your lawn twice (forward and backward).If you’re in a hurry, check out below the best cordless self-propelled lawn mower for tall grass.
EGO LM2102SP 21″ Self Propelled Lawnmower with 7.5AH Battery & Rapid Charger
- Being a self-propelled mower, you only have to guide it to do all the mowing for you.
- The only electric mower recommended by Consumer Reports.
- This 56-volt mower comes with a 600-watt high-torque magnetic motor that is powerful enough to cut overgrown grass and hilly areas.
- It delivers the same torque that you would expect from a gas-powered mower.
- Its 7.5Ah battery can run for one hour, which better than most competition.
- 6-position deck-height adjustment.
- Mulch as rear-discharge, or side discharge/bag the clippings.
If you’re looking for a cordless mower that can deal with even wet and tall grass, then EGO LM2102SP is the right machine for you.
Amazon reviewers notice that EGO LM2102SP revs up when cutting through taller grass without missing a beat. Another user feels impressed how well it propelled through tall and wet grass. Rated highly by many HomeDepot buyers, EGO LM2102SP cuts and mulches long, damp grass without flinching. One of them states that it can “easily replaced the 6.5HP gas mower.”
Watch this video and look at how EGO cordless 56V push mower cuts tall grass during the rain.
If the price is a concern, then look at the following cordless push mowers for tall grass.
Top Cordless Push Mowers For Overgrown Lawn
#1 Redback 120V Lithium Ion Lawn Mower Kit – 21 Inch – Push Mower (106648)
- 21″ deck width
- 120-Volt 3.0 Ah high capacity battery with lightning-fast charging.
- 7-position cutting height (0.59″ – 3.0″)
- Mulch, bag, or side discharge without additional tools.
Reviewers at HomeDepot says that Redback 120V mower is “very powerful while mowing tall, thick grass,” and can “automatically kick into a higher drive for tall grass.” What is more impressive is that a lawn owner left his grass grown almost 2 feet high, and this mower “took it down easily.” Of course, with longer grass, you need an extra battery or take a break to recharge.
Being a push mower, you probably feel exhausted after mowing an acre or more. It will be awesome if this Redback model is a self-propelled mower.
#2 Greenworks PRO 21-Inch 80V Cordless Lawn Mower, 4.0 AH Battery Included GLM801602
- 21″ deck width.
- 80V 4.0Ah lithium-ion battery with rapid charging.
- This push cordless mower features a motor that is equivalent to a 160cc gas engine. It has enough power to go through thick, tall, and wet grass.
- 7-position cut height adjustment (1.375″ to 3.75″).
- Choose your cut finish from mulching, bagging, or side discharge on the lawn.
A Lowes customer says that Greenworks PRO has “the power to cut through deep thick wet grass.” The Smart Cut Load sensing technology ramps up the RPM when cutting particularly long, tough, or wet grass.
#3 Snapper XD 82V MAX Electric Cordless 21-Inch Lawnmower Kit with (2) 2.0 Batteries & (1) Rapid Charger, 1687884, SXDWM82K
- 21″ Steel mowing deck.
- Both a Briggs & Stratton 82V lithium-ion 2.0Ah battery, and a 1200W motor allow this push mower to cut through thick weed and grass.
- 7-position height-of-cut adjustment (1-3/8″ to 3-3/4″).
- Transitioning between mulching, bagging, and using the side discharge chute is a breeze.
Many Amazon users mention that Snapper XD can tackle 3-8″ tall and wet grass. One customer notices that the mower does not choke up when cutting 4 feet tall grass. Thanks to its smart-load sensing technology, the motor receives more power, increasing the blade speed.
The only issue is that the engine will start to idle when the grass gets thicker.
#4 Ryobi RY40180 40V Brushless Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Mower Kit, with 5.0Ah Battery
- 20″ deck width.
- 40V 5.0Ah high-capacity battery for extended run time (no fast charging).
- 7-position height adjustment (1.5″ to 4″).
- Mulching or bagging option.
Ryobi RY40180 does not bog down when going through tall grass, according to an Amazon customer. Many users at HomeDepot are satisfied with the performance of Ryobi cordless push mower because it cut through overgrown lawn (even for 10″ grass) without a problem. Its load sensing technology kicks in more power when chewing on tall grass. However, it does not do well when the long grass is wet.
Buying Guide: Electric Lawn Mowers For Tall Grass
- Most electric mower struggles when it comes to tall grass because of insufficient horsepower. You need at least 4.5HP (horsepower) if you don’t want to get bogged down in the tall grass.
- For overgrown grass, the electric mower must have a high torque engine. Engine torque (turning force) dictates the spinning power of the blades. The higher the torque, the more power for the mower to tackle tall and thick grass.
- If you hate pushing the mower through a carpet of tall and thick grass, choose an electric self-propelled mower. You can cut through dense grass without putting in the extra effort.
- Choose a sizeable electric mower with at least 21″ deck width as they can cut tall and thick grass effectively. You don’t have to run over your lawn too many times.
- Multiple height settings is a must if you want a perfect cut for your overgrown lawn. Every type of grass will look good if you set the right height.
- The cordless mower will drain the battery faster when clipping tall grass. It will reduce your mowing time. To solve this problem, you can either choose a high capacity battery capacity or have one spare battery fully charged for an uninterrupted task at hand. Alternatively, you can take a break and use a rapid charger before mowing again.
- If you want to save time and avoid the hassle of emptying the grass catcher frequently, get an electric mower with a mulching feature. Mulching eliminates the need to rake, bag, or dispose of grass clippings. It also keeps it out of landfills. Landfill regulations in some states make it harder to dispose of your yard clippings. So getting a mulching lawn mower makes sense.
- Side discharge comes handy when mowing long grass. It can handle a more significant amount of grass debris than a rear one. If you insist on using a rear discharge mower without the bag, you have to block the discharge opening, protecting you against being hit by high-speed objects. However, blocking it will jam up the mower as the clippings will obstruct the mower.
Tips For Mowing Tall Grass
- Most manufacturers do not recommend mowing wet or extremely damp grass.
- Make sure the blade is sharp. Otherwise, you would not get the best cut.
- Sometimes, it is better to make a few stops when mowing the overgrown lawn. The additional strain of tall grass may cause the electric motor to overheat.
- You may not see any objects in the tall grass. So look out for objects that your mower could pick up. It may accidentally throw them at you, causing severe injuries.
- Pay attention to the hidden hazards such as holes and bumps as the long grass conceal them in plain sight.
- Always check the height setting. If you fail to adjust your mower to a higher level, then it will bog down and stall as it tries to trim the overgrown lawn. Increasing the cut height will make it easier to mow and protect the motor from overloading.